Monday, March 29, 2010

Rowing Past The Competition


Even after years of lifting, my upper body is still pretty scrawny.  My hubby calls me T-Rex because of my disproportionately developed legs compared to my relatively small arms.  So, I love any workout that utilizes my arms and back.  Enter, the rowing machine.  

The other day, I was rowing at a decent pace, but not really pushing myself.  Until...another rower hopped on the machine next to me.  She was about my age, fit and blond.  I immediately started rowing faster and harder.  I watched how fast she was rowing and could tell she was also watching me.  I had originally intended to row for ten minutes, but stayed for fifteen.     

As women, we aren't always encouraged to be competitive, but in sports all bets are off.  I ride harder in my Spinning classes when my girlfriends are riding too.  When other women are lifting nearby, I push out a few extra reps.  I want to be the best, the strongest, the fittest...for me and my own personal satisfaction.   

Morale of the story:  If you are having trouble getting motivated, try working out with someone else...especially someone who pushes you past your comfort zone.  


No comments: